Every week, we bring you unfortunate examples of union corruption. Here’s more:
- In California, Edward Padilla, former Secretary-Treasurer/Business Manager of Laborers International Union of North America (LIUNA) Local 220, was sentenced to 21 months of imprisonment followed by three years of supervised release. Padilla was also ordered to pay $168,780 in restitution and a $100 special assessment. On March 27th, 2017, Padilla pled guilty to embezzling $168,780 from the union.
- In Colorado, Violet Lamorie, former Secretary-Treasurer of American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) Local 695, was sentenced to 10 months of home confinement and five years of probation, and she was ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $71,430 and a $100 assessment. On November 30th, 2016, Lamorie pled guilty to one count of wire fraud.
- In Michigan, Virdell King, a former senior official in the Chrysler Department of the United Auto Workers (UAW) International Union and a former Assistant Director of the UAW-Chrysler National Training Center (NTC), pled guilty to one count of conspiracy to violate the Labor Management Relations Act.
- In Washington, Casey Cortese, former President of Association of Civilian Technicians (ACT) Local Chapter 108, was sentenced to 240 hours of community service and was ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $27,514. On May 30th, 2017, Cortese pled guilty to a single count of Theft in the 1st Degree.
- Also in Washington, Pascale McAtee, former President of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers (SMART) Local 161, was sentenced to five months in federal prison followed by three years of federal probation. He was also ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $73,583 and a special assessment of $100. On April 7th, 2017, McAtee pled guilty to a single count of embezzlement.
Check back next week for more ridiculousness in union America.