The month of October brought a bevy of union misconduct. Here’s the Labor Department’s worst of the worst:
- On October 10th, 2017, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division, Thomas M. Miller, former Financial Secretary-Treasurer of Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET) Division 815 (located in Joliet, Ill.), was sentenced to two years of supervised probation. Miller was also ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $21,070, a fine of $2,000, and a special assessment of $100. On May 19th, 2017, Miller pled guilty to one count of embezzlement in the amount of $10,686, in violation of 29 U.S.C. 501(c).
- On October 9th, 2017, in the Ramsey County (Minnesota, Minm.) District Court, Latasha Wilson, former Treasurer of American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE) Local 1969 (located in Minneapolis), was charged with one count of theft by swindle of more than $35,000, in violation of Minnesota State Statute 609.52.2(a)(4). The complaint alleges that Wilson stole union funds in the amount of $58,150 between January 2013 and December 2015.
- On October 6th, 2017, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Matt Smith, former Secretary-Treasurer of Transport Workers Local 576 (located in Hurst, Tex.), pled guilty to the one count of embezzling union funds, in violation of 29 U.S.C. 501(c).
- On October 4th, 2017, in the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington, Gregory Normand, former Secretary-Treasurer of International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail, and Transportation Workers (SMART) Local 324-TD (located in Marysville, Wash.), was indicted for one count of embezzling over $443,000 in union funds, in violation of 29 U.S.C. 501(c). Additionally, Normand was indicted for one count of making false statements to a government agency in a filed report, in violation of 29 U.S.C. 439(b), and one count of making false statements to a government agency, in violation of 18 U.S.C. 1001.
- On October 3rd, 2017, in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Glenn Robert Smith, former comptroller for the Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters and Millwrights (MRCC), located in Warren, Mich., pled guilty to one count of embezzling $499,087 in union funds, in violation of 29 U.S.C. 501(c).