As the smoke clears from the 4th of July weekend, more union corruption has appeared on the newswires. Here are this week’s best rackets:
- In Ohio, Arthur W. Boedecker, former Vice President of Utility Workers Union of America (UWUA) Local 270, pled guilty to one count of aggravated theft from a union. On the same date, Boedecker was sentenced to a jail term of three days and fined $500.
- In Illinois, Scott Alexander and Nancy Alexander, former President and former office administrator, respectively, for Teamsters Local 50, were indicted for embezzlement and wire fraud.
- In Wisconsin, Estes Evans, former Treasurer of International Association of EMTs and Paramedics Local R7-33, was charged with one count of embezzlement of $44,446 and one count of filing a false report.
- In Pennsylvania, Stephen A. Royer, former Secretary Treasurer of Machinists Local Lodge 243, pled guilty to one count of embezzlement. The loss amount will be determined at a later date.
- In Indiana, Michael R. Bennett, former President of United Auto Workers (UAW) Local 2317, was sentenced to 15 months of incarceration, one year of supervised release, and was also ordered to pay restitution of $18,047 and a $100 special assessment. Bennett previously paid $84,807 in restitution. On November 21, 2016, Bennett pled guilty to one count of wire fraud, for diverting over $100,000 in unions funds for personal use.
Check back next week for more union wrongdoing.